Here's who will be attending Blueprint 2016.

Are YOU part of the bold global future for communication and media? Register here!

Community

Norbert Mundorf

Harrington School of Communication and Media

Professor

Green Global Germany

Jonathan Herman

COO

Cultivate Company Talent

What journalist or communication personality do you most admire, and why?

Dan Ariely, a professor at Duke and also a social psychologist and behavioral economist. I admire Ariely because, after a life-altering and tragic accident – 80% of his body was burned in a magnesium flare explosion when he was in the Israeli army years ago – he channeled this experience into a deep understanding of human behavior and psychology.

Based on his simple speaking style and easy-to-understand writings and parables, Ariely is now a renown public figure, giving speeches across the world, including TED talks, and the author of many books, including “Predictably Irrational” and “The Honest Truth About Dishonesty.” He is also a columnist for The Wall Street Journal under the title, “Dear Dan.”

Justin Wyatt

Assistant Professor, Communication Studies and Film/Media

Inform Engage Inspire

David Westin, anchor at Bloomberg TV and former President of ABC News. David is a media executive who is guided by strong principles and a desire to present all sides of the story. He cares deeply about the mission of news and understands the deep responsibility of media journalism.

Owen May

Student in Harrington School of Communication

Son, student, explorer

What do you think is your society’s greatest communication and media challenge?

Society’s greatest communication and media challenge is delivering completely accurate information to the public.

Alyson Snowe Leitch

PhD Candidate

Teacher, Rhetorician, Bibliophile

There are innumerable communication and media challenges. One challenge is the ever-changing digital world; companies need to remain focused on their own digitisation. Cyber security is also a challenge. The need for stronger cyber security measures increase with sprawling networks.

Marissa Tansino

Student Reporter at the Good 5 Cent Cigar

Storyteller, journalist, producer

Although the Internet and social media are great communication tools, they can also be one of the biggest communication and media challenges our society faces today. Social media serves as a medium that gives us extensive access to a variety of different news sources, it can, in some cases, undermine the credibility of the true, fact-based media. It can be easy to get lost among the many opinions that bombard our computer devices daily. In today’s society it can be difficult to determine the difference between accurate facts and personal opinions.

Kathy O’Donnell White

SVP, Head of Public Affairs

Influence Community Communications

I think the media has lost its objectivity and therefore the information we receive through various communications channels is biased, sanitized or sensationalized. The lines between fact and opinion have blurred so much that it’s hard to discern the truth. This puts a greater responsibility on us as consumers of information to question, study and formulate our own opinions on various issues facing our country.

Rachel DiCioccio

Professor, Harrington School of Communication & Media

Teach, challenge, encourage

Amelia clermont

Harrington hub supporter

Imagine, design, communicate

Emma Watson. Emma developed from a young tv idol to a well-spoken, knowledgable woman that is an advocate for woman’s rights and a sustainable world. She uses her communication power to inspire others to join causes she truly cares about.

Rachel Nunes

Student/Editor for URI ITMS

Journalism student, student editor

What is the social media/communication technology tool of the future?

I believe that twitter is one of the greatest communication tools of the future, especially for journalists to get information out immediately

Sarah Angeloni

Student

Create, Inspire, Work Hard

What are your hopes for the global future of communication and media?

I hope that new forms of communication and media emerge because right now they seem very limited to only a select audience.

Olivia Carle

Student

Create, inspire, work hard

Snapchat because it not only allows facial and textual communication, but also provides news and other sources of information about today’s happenings.

Bridget Burke

student

outgoing , determined , joyful

Oliver “Romen Rok” Scampoli

Multimedia Artist

Photo. Video. Multimedia.

Virtual Reality!

Megan Yakey

Comm Studies Student/URI Employee

Strive, Facilitate, and Motivate

I think that the greatest challenge for society today is the lack of unbiased reporting. It is imperative that society be able to make informed decisions hearing all sides of a story. So for me, learning about communication in all forms allows me to help facilitate informed decisions in my community.

Ronald Zincone

Transfer student

astronomy weather photography

Julia Shugeng Yang

China Coordinator

diplomacy,visionary,elegance

The global future of communication and media will bring countries together and open communication to benefit all people.

Devyn Branick

Harrington Ranger

Driven, dedicated, ambitious

How are YOU shaping the future of communication and media; what is the “next big thing” in communication and media?

I am changing the future of communication and media by staying curious and pursing my dreams.

One of the greatest communication challenges in our society is the lack of voices heard in the media.

I hope that the global future of communication and media becomes more interconnected. I hope that countries that are shielded from multiple media sources will have access to all of them.

Hayley Haines

Student

explore, create, imagine

How are YOU shaping the future of communication and media; what is the “next big thing” in communication and media?

I want to shape the film industry by creating films that inspire people.

Brianna Creech

Harrington Ranger

Creative, Kind, Open-minded

Our greatest challenge as a society in communication and media, is successfully connecting with those in developing countries.

My hopes are that through this growth of global communication and media, we will be able to better understand nations and their cultural differences that have kept us isolated from each other for so long.

Mark Ruffalo. Not only is he one of our greatest actors but he has continuously used his platform to promote environmental stability and spread awareness about climate change.

Geoffrey R. May

Sr Project Manager

Licensed Site Professional for Environmental Regulatory Compliance

Charles Osgood because he seemed truthful

Paul Guarino

Student

I study PR

Being able to effectively communicate with people as well as communicating your message in different ways. Really being able to convey to people what you want to is a powerful tool to have in life.

Dimitri Ashby

Student

visionary film major

The next “Big Thing” in my opinion is the use of film and multi-media in our everyday lives. Commercials, advertisements, and creative freelancing, are some of the few multi-media markets that are only getting bigger and more necessary in our everyday lives. The more we learn about the real value of professional media, the more opportunities and accomplishments we will reach.

Jenna Morton-Aiken

PhD Candidate

support, connect, write

I’m bringing “relational architecture” to archives, which creates multiple points of access to resources, moving archives from static hierarchies to networked and evolving ecologies of information.

Keeping intention and focus with so many opportunities for input and output constantly competing for focus.

That connections will make us more empathetic and supportive to work together towards both individual and collective goals

Using tool in the wider sense of the world, I think the rhetorical situation is the most important tool. Thinking about purpose, audience, and context is still going to be the most effective tool to help communicators get the job done, and help them decide which technology platform will be best suited to specific circumstances.

Charlie Rose, because he is focused and yet flexible. He seems to adapt well to changes in audience and platforms, and is able to be funny or serious depending on the situation.