Here's who will be attending Blueprint 2016.

Are YOU part of the bold global future for communication and media? Register here!

Community

Mary Healey Jamiel

University of Rhode Island

Associate Professor

Professor, Filmmaker, Animal Advocate

How are YOU shaping the future of communication and media; what is the “next big thing” in communication and media?

Working with students to forge connections with important local small business; facilitate the innovative ideas of our youth to support Rhode Island community.

Next big thing is virtual.

What do you think is your society’s greatest communication and media challenge?

Promoting and supporting empathetic connection and compassion.

What are your hopes for the global future of communication and media?

Compassionate citizenry.

What is the social media/communication technology tool of the future?

The “off” button.

What journalist or communication personality do you most admire, and why?

Ted Conover, reporter/journalist, author. I believe Ted Conover’s work is some of the most important journalism of our time. His immersive approach yields rich historical research, complex and enlightened reportage. He’s not afraid to tell us how that as he writes the story, the story changes him. He often spends months and years undercover or on assignment.

Jay Spach

Jay Spach Consulting

Principal

help leaders win

How are YOU shaping the future of communication and media; what is the “next big thing” in communication and media?

I think the next big thing is to use big data to drive greater global understanding.

The ubiquity of information and opinions, along with increased anonymity, have led to the misperception that opinion – if repeated often enough – is fact. The challenge is to put authority back into information so that it leads to understanding and wisdom.

More convergence and more availability to connect the less fortunate and the marginalized.

Big data is the tool that will drive understanding.

I admire Charlie Rose as a journalist who is passionate about getting “under the hood” of influential people and helping us understand how they work and what drives them.

Melissa Villa-Nicholas

URI GSLIS

Instructor

Latina information histories

Society’s greatest communication and media challenge will be to make digital tools and new technologies available to underrepresented populations so that those groups can in turn create new technologies and innovations.

Pamela Henning

Harrington Media Agency Representative

URI Her Campus Editor in Chief, Harrington Media Agency Representative, Rhody Ram

In such a fast-paced society we are drawn to getting the most information the quickest way possible, but you can’t understand the entire context of a situation in under 140 characters. The greatest communication and media challenge we face is getting the public to digest an entire story rather than regurgitating a headline.

Jackie Adell

URI

Student, Traveler, Communicator

Tamela Gates May

URI

Parent

Vice President Channel Sales and Marketing Globalsape Inc

Security in all communications

Security

Sharing of ideas/thoughts in a secure setting

Kathleen Torrens

URI

Professor, Ass't Dir. Online Ed.

Teach, research, innovate

Kelly Cucciniello

URI

Outgoing, Creative, Spontaneous

Kevin McClure

Com Studies

Professor & Chair

Teach, Research, Administer

Nancy Burns-Fusaro

URI/the Westerly Sun

Part-time faculty/writer

Write, read, swim

Christiane Amanpour because she is smart and fair.

Lori Merolla

Fidelity Investments

Vice President

Strategize, Collaborate, Coach

Tom Zorabedian

University of RI, Arts & Sciences

Assistant Dean, Film/Media faculty

Curious, Creative, Teacher

The challenge is to find the healthy balance between the extraordinary capabilities of media and our ability and willingness to relate to each other one-on-one. As with every major advancement in technology, we need to understand not only how the technology itself works, but also its impact on the world, each other, and ourselves.

Mark Greenwood

URI

COM Studies Lecturer

Educate, challenge and encourage.

Due to the explosion in social media technology during the last decade, I believe one of the greatest challenges our society faces is in determining what is fact from fiction. In today’s world it isn’t uncommon for statistics, quotes, graphs, pie charts, etc., to be completely fabricated and then shared several thousand times on social media sites and ultimately accepted as truth by many without applying critical thinking skills to evaluate the legitimacy of the claim. 1`

Brianna Montecalvo

URI

Student, Explorer, Thinker

I hope the global future of communication and media cater to all individuals so everyone can stay well informed.

Leticia Simone

HARRINGTON MEDIA AGENCY REPRESENTATIVE

Outgoing, Motivated, Curious

I am helping to shape the future of communication and media by taking what I learned in my classes, so far, and using those skills in the real world. The “next big thing” in communication and media will be the globalization that we will witness. With all this new technology we will be able to easily communicate all over the world, bringing us all much closer together.

Society’s greatest communication and media challenge is simply keeping up with changes. Our world is changing so rapidly that it is hard to keep up with the most current form of communication.

My hopes for the global future of communication and media are simple. I hope that through this globalization in communication and media, we will be able to understand more about other cultures and countries. Not only will this help us expand markets, but it will also help everyone learn about cultures and accept them on a new level.

I believe that the social media/communication technology of the future will rely greatly on smartphones and tablets. Videoconferencing is already taking off and I could easily see them creating holograms that pop up in the room. You could be right here in Rhode Island giving a presentation to clients in Russia and they would be able to see your nonverbal language because you would be a full hologram.

Michael C. Keith

Boston College

Professor

Educate future communicators

Through a humanistic approach to the use of new media for enhancing global understanding.

To assure that the new communication technologies are available to developing nations.

That they promote an altruistic mindset and transparency between peoples and nations.

New social media emerge almost daily, so predicting what will be the social media/communication technology tool of the future requires an informed imagination.

Edward R. Murrow. He was a journalist of the highest integrity who continues to be an exemplar for objective reporting.

Ed Quinlan

Quinlan Consulting

Consultant

Health care consulting

Increasing professionalism and knowledge based communication. Uninformed opinion is too often identified as media, and contributes to a decline in civility and respect throughout society.

Trivialization of “media”, and corresponding decline of informed citizenry, I.e. Presidential campaign.

Professional standards for journalists, communication requirements for secondary and higher education, more civility.

Technology accompanied by humanity – raise the bar.

Less “personality”, more knowledge based, impartial information.

Michael Andreozzi

Beltone Hearing Aids

CEO

Manage, Inspire, Lead

Bill Loveless

USA TODAY

Columnist

Journalist, Columnist, Podcaster

Technology is developing at warp speed, providing new means of communicating, but also potentially distracting us from our responsibilities to do so accurately, fairly and responsibly. Now more than ever, the traditional standards we learn in journalism and other communications fields are essential.

Sergio Suhett

Nielsen Media Research

Field Service Representative

Snap, Crackle, Pop

My hope for the global future of communication and media is that it will allow for all of us to look past the differences that divide us and recognize the commonalities that can unite us — and I really believe it has the potential to do just that. Reasoned, compassionate participation will make it happen.

Tina Castano

WLWC-TV

VP/General Manager

Integrated Broadcast Leader

It’s all about keeping pace with technology. Our biggest challenge as Broadcasters is content distribution while keeping pace with the advancements in broadcast and digital technology. We need to keep pace without losing the personal communication experience.

Jennifer Siegal Whelihan

Worldways Social Marketing

Account Coordinator

Positive Social Change

My hope for the future of communication and media is society continues to advance with technology but also retain the humanity that keeps us connected. Technology has the ability to make the world seem smaller and bring people together like never before in history. It is an amazing tool and if used for the right reasons communication and media can create real positive changes in our world both near and far.

Alan Soucy

Sparkpr

CEO

Collaborate, create, problem solve

Although there are many accomplished professionals who come to mind, I most admire today’s leaders who are re-shaping our industry. The individuals who are harnessing new communications technologies with social responsibility. The individuals who are highly skilled, possess deep professional curiosity and are fearless. The individuals equipped to disrupt and transform our industry. These are the emerging leaders graduating from the Harrington School of Communication and Media.

Joanne Mundorf

Harrington School of Communication and Media

Senior Lecturer

Teach, Advise, Online Communication